UK:Bradford Trainee barrister is youngest Muslim JP

UK:Bradford Trainee barrister is youngest Muslim JP


The youngest female Muslim magistrate in the country was sworn in at a ceremony at Bradford Magistrates' Court.


Faiza Ali, 23, of Bradford, was among three new magistrates and one transferee to take part in the ceremony yesterday.


Miss Ali – along with Helen Langley, 59, of Calderdale, Mohammed Amin Zaman, 36, of Bradford, and Katy Blake, who transferred from Bristol – has now joined the 265 magistrates in Bradford.


The new recruits were due to help fill the gap left by the retirement of three magistrates today with a combined service of more than 60 years.


Miss Ali, a former Laisterdyke High School and Yorkshire Martyrs pupil, said: "It feels great, but I do feel that all the credit goes to my parents for supporting me, for trusting me to be out there in the real world and trust my decisions to allow everything I have wanted to do in my life.


"I have always wanted to do something for the community, it has been my interest since childhood.


"The role itself is amazing – it's tremendous and it's good to know and be part of society, not just serving for the money, but serving to benefit other people voluntarily."


Miss Ali is training to become a barrister at the City Law School in London and has given up her time for numerous causes in the past, including being a panel member for the Youth Offending Team.


(more)

Source: Telegraph & Argus, h/t London Muslim

No comments: